Two Revit API discussion forum threads reinforce the ever-present need to regenerate, the development team clarifies access to various asset keyword properties, and Harry Mattison shares a free tool to create and update a toposurface from a set of model lines – Asset keyword access – Modifying group requires regen – Modifying part material requires regen – Topo from lines...
Revit 2022 has been released.
Two important features are parameter API enhancements and built-in PDF export functionality
– Replace deprecated
– Multi-target 2021 and 2022 using MSBuild
– PDF export default paper format can fail
– PDF export output file naming
– Five beginner mistakes...
Parameter changes and tile packing using the Revit API and AI, plus some other notes on Forge and general stuff
– Parameter type changes to
– Determining cut tiles in room
– Optimal banana sandwich slice packing with AI
– Forge solution showcase
– Effect of home office on meeting culture
– Motivating kids can be harder than business success...
Today is my birthday, so I am trying hard to work less. Very kindly, Alexander Ignatovich provided a gift for the day in the form of a new external command CmdElectricalLoad in The Building Coder samples. showing how to retrieve the value of the `Load` column in the electrical system browser for a specific fixture family instance...
I completed the move to my new computer, and happily all systems go now.
Here are some other topics that came up in the past few days
– Revit-IFC Release 20.1.0
– Community discussion on Revit
– Solid or instance, depending
– Exporting parameters to Access
– Store globals on custom
– Iranian civil engineering project video...
I explored three main topics here at the Forge accelerator
– Room closed shell solid visibility in the Forge viewer
– Rebar simplification: replace rebar elements with simplified solids or model curves
– Today, I'll dive deeper into the first
– IFC exporter utility adds new built-in parameter
– Barcelona Forge accelerator
– Room closed shell in the Forge viewer
– Triangulate the solid face by face
– Triangulate entire solid
– Tessellation accuracy control documentation error...
Today, we present yet another RevitLookup enhancement, a note on an undocumented built-in parameter change and a neat Forge Design Automation for Revit sample app – RevitLookup family types and parameter definition names – Bitmap aspect ratio built-in parameter renamed – DA4R SketchIt demo generates walls...
Yesterday, I implemented a new add-in, RoomVolumeDirectShape, that creates
DirectShape elements representing the volumes of all the rooms
– Request to display room volumes in Forge SVF file
– RoomVolumeDirectShape functionality
– Retrieving all element properties
– Converting a .NET dictionary to JSON
– Complete external command class
– Sample model and results
– Challenges encountered underway
– Cherry BIM Services
– On the value of the "Loss Method" property
– AI-generated talking head models...
I avoid answering non-confidential questions in private, as I tell everyone who tries to do so.
However, some non-confidential queries still come in via ADN.
Here are two that came in today that might be of general interest and therefore seem worth sharing
– Batch processing Revit families and documents
AsValueString results differ...
Today, yet another introduction to Forge, a simple issue of setting the level of a floor element, and the much more complex one of gaining freedom and total independence via IPC – What is Forge? – Changing the level of a floor – Entanglement can be hell – CefSharp entanglement – Disentanglement and independence via IPC – Beer-ware license...
Today I discuss (once again) an important performance aspect of Revit element filtering, a Python script for tagging JPEG images with EXIF data, prompted by a recent ski tour, and three other interesting topics that caught my eye – Slow, slower still and faster filtering – Python JPEG EXIT filename tagging – TED talks and population growth – Objective reality does not exist – Artificial intelligence judge...
Some happy news about two new Revit API supporter colleagues, Naveen Kumar and Zhong Wu. They already reached second and third place in the list of top solution providers. Here is also a very relevant recent case handled by Zhong – Top solution authors – Naveen on Naveen – Zhong shifts to AEC – Zhong on Zhong – Deleting a non-shared project parameter...
I am back from a multi-day hike of about 70 km along the Swedish Sörmlandsleden wilderness trail. In the meantime, lots of noteworthy things happened – Revit 2019.1 update and features – Revit Add-Ins using the CEFsharp library – BIM 360 Issues API – Forge Accelerator in Rome and elsewhere – Looking for a Forge development partner – New way to retrieve a parameter id...
I returned from my time off in July. I dived in deep into the Revit API again to resolve an issue retrieving wall profile curves. Here are some other noteworthy items to keep company with my debugging report – CmdWallProfile update – Access to the IUpdater original value – Getting element dimensions from IFC files – Creative workaround to rotate elevation marker in chunks...
How to export all the Revit data to an external database?
It is very simple to extract all the parameter data.
Let's implement a solution to do so
– Existing sample implementations
– Black box input
– Choices for the output and its structure
– Retrieve parameter values from an element
– FilterCategoryRule versus category filters
– Category description extension method
– Retrieve parameter data for all elements of given categories
– External command
– Sample run results
Today, we explore how to retrieve visible DWG geometry, i.e., geometry elements contained in a CAD import instance on a layer that is visible in the currently active view, and how to import an image to the foreground instead of the default background setting – Retrieve CAD import geometry on visible layer – Import image using foreground option...