Hacks for dark icons supporting Revit 2024 theme switching and news from the ever-accelerating AI revolution
– Dark theme icons by ImageMagick
– Embed dark theme icon name in
– Open-source AI surging ahead
– Timeline of major milestones crossed
– Non-technical explanation of AI and deep learning
– Using AI to read your thoughts
– AI emergent abilities may not be emergent after all
– Risk of AI manipulation...
Current topics of interest from the Revit API discussion forum and elsewhere – Switch metric + imperial units – What is UV? – What is fuzz? – What is get_Parameter and get_Geometry? – Default localised workset names – Bing Chat Python and Dynamo tutor – Claude on Slack summarises and answers questions – Emergence and sparks of artificial general intelligence...
Two illuminating discussions on direct shapes, working with direct shape libraries, and handling Revit and third-party .NET assembly DLLs – DirectShapeType and AddExternallyTaggedGeometry – Referencing and avoiding conflict with Revit DLLs – SSSVG interactive SVG reference – Coding with eyes only...
I am writing this in Nairobi, Kenya, getting to know the team here; also, the new APS landing page just went live, and Benoit points out a useful geometric modelling library to help power your Revit add-in – DAS team in Nairobi, Kenya – NetTopologySuite in Revit add-ins – New APS landing page – You can create RVT using APS...
AU 2022 classes are available online now, as well as a new Dynamo book and resources project.
I also present some ongoing nitty-gritty discussions on external events and
– Modern add-in deployment and testing
– Parametric curvature in families
– Awesome Dynamo online book project
– Launching command after closing form
– Chaining Idling events and other solutions...
An important solution to fix a problem loading BIM 360 links and lots of advice on programming Revit add-ins in general – New Revit material appearance asset – BIM 360 links not found solution – AppStore guidelines for Revit add-in – Coding Revit add-ins the e-verse way – VS wizard template location...
– New Analytical Model API
– Praise for modeless RevitLookup
– Benchmarking generic
– Escape RevitLookup
– Use extensible storage carefully
– jQuery is widespread but outdated...
Exciting news with a lot of changes to RevitLookup and The Building Coder samples
– Revit 2022.1 SDK released
– RevitLookup build and install
– Bye-bye lookup builds
– The Building Coder samples revamped
– Copy as HTML update
– Image cleanup and a robot arm...
Here are a couple of the interesting topics that came up in the last couple of days
– Numerous RevitLookup enhancements
– Revit API Labs training material 2022
– Visual Studio Revit add-in templates 2022
– The SetGeometryCurve
– Exploring assembly reference DLL hell with Fuslogvw...
Revit 2022 has been released.
Two important features are parameter API enhancements and built-in PDF export functionality
– Replace deprecated
– Multi-target 2021 and 2022 using MSBuild
– PDF export default paper format can fail
– PDF export output file naming
– Five beginner mistakes...
Today, let's look at two Japanese Forge questions, on model groups and the Revit engine language, another RevitLookup enhancement, and, while we're talking about languages, a surprising scientific discovery on naked mole-rat dialects
– Retrieving Revit model group in Forge
– Specifying the Revit UI language in DA4R
– RevitLookup supports
– Naked mole-rats speak in community dialects
– Van Gogh 360...
Lots of exciting items to share – No cost for Autodesk University 2020 – AU voting suggestion – Modeless Revit add-ins – Virtual AEC and BIM360 hackathon – Do not print by category – Using the new unit API to display length of multiple lines – Job opening in Developer Advocacy and Support – Intro to synchronous versus async programming...
I hope you are happy and healthy and enjoyed your Easter eggs! During the holiday, I updated RevitLookup for Revit 2021, and Harry Mattison added his multi-release building enhancements into the main solution as well – Revit 2021 add-ins require .NET 4.8 – RevitLookup flat migration to Revit 2021 – Support for multi-release building...
Here are two important utilities, one eagerly awaited, the other a nice surprise: the updated REX and Structural analysis SDKs and a powerful
await wrapper for the Revit API external event
– REX SDK and Structural Analysis SDK 2020
– Standard approach
– Revit.Async approach...
Getting started material and questions galore. Please search before asking, and work through the available material before trying to shoot yourself in your feet, knees, and elsewhere – Marko's plugin development playlist – Overview – Table of contents – Getting started with an API script – Getting started with a macro – OBJ mesh import with materials – 2D Booleans in the Revit API...
await external event wrapper!
Communicating from outside with Revit is often better replaced by the Forge Design Automation API for Revit.
However, it is also possible to make use of Revit as a server in a limited way via an external event
– Communicating with another process
– Autodesk open positions...
I successfully made it from Switzerland to Paris and the Forge accelerator in spite of the French strikes. My only worry is how to get back again tomorrow. Again, the train I have booked has been cancelled. Meanwhile, let's take a look at – DA4R room support and new samples – Effective filtered element collection...
Today is my birthday, so I am trying hard to work less. Very kindly, Alexander Ignatovich provided a gift for the day in the form of a new external command CmdElectricalLoad in The Building Coder samples. showing how to retrieve the value of the `Load` column in the electrical system browser for a specific fixture family instance...
This is The Building Coder post number 1800, in its eleventh year of existence. We celebrate by highlighting the integration of a 3D geometry and model viewer in a Revit add-in with a solution making use of several interesting techniques, including the use of IPC for add-in disentanglement from third-party library dependencies and a new custom exporter implementation for OBJ. This issue was raised in two discussions, on a plug-in that displays Revit's 3D window content and using a geometry viewer in a Revit add-in to preview results...