Here are a couple of the interesting topics that came up in the last couple of days
– Numerous RevitLookup enhancements
– Revit API Labs training material 2022
– Visual Studio Revit add-in templates 2022
– The SetGeometryCurve
– Exploring assembly reference DLL hell with Fuslogvw...
A new version of Revit coming soon, solutions for automatic column type creation and instance placement, handling arc angles, career opportunities and a sustainable economic model – What's new in Revit 2022 sneak peek – Creating column types from list – Normalising arc start and end angle – Many exciting opportunities at Autodesk – The sustainable doughnut economic model...
A lengthy and fruitful conversation on implementing valid rebar stirrup constraints and more advice on determining boundary elements for the entire building and individual rooms – Rebar stirrup constraints – Exterior bounding walls – All walls including non-bounding interior walls – Floors and ceilings – Revit API and UX style guide – Today's collective action problem...
The wish to be able to programmatically access and modify sketch-based elements is long-standing, e.g., for editing an existing slab boundary. Here is an invitation to take a look at the Revit Preview (aka beta), offering a chance to provide feedback on several new sketch-based element creation and editing APIs...
Parameter changes and tile packing using the Revit API and AI, plus some other notes on Forge and general stuff
– Parameter type changes to
– Determining cut tiles in room
– Optimal banana sandwich slice packing with AI
– Forge solution showcase
– Effect of home office on meeting culture
– Motivating kids can be harder than business success...
Sooner or later, every serious Revit add-in developer will be scratching her head a bit over symbol versus instance geometry.
Here is a nice juicy challenge...
Wrap you head around this one in depth and future challenges in this area will seem trivial.
Retrieving references from symbol versus instance geometry when placing an instance on a line throws an
Today we pick up two recent MEP related discussions, on creating a new pipe connector for a hydraulic fitting family and on automatic pipe system routing, and a couple of other odd items
– The names they are a-changin
– Getting a
– Auto-routing a pipe system between plumbing fixtures
– Handling dialogue and failure messages
– Retrieving a geometry reference...
Getting started material and questions galore. Please search before asking, and work through the available material before trying to shoot yourself in your feet, knees, and elsewhere – Marko's plugin development playlist – Overview – Table of contents – Getting started with an API script – Getting started with a macro – OBJ mesh import with materials – 2D Booleans in the Revit API...
Here is a last-minute announcement that I will be attending the Swissbau Basel on Wednesday, a quick hint to answer a support case that just came in today, a forum thread issue, and a pointer to a drum solo – Attending Swissbau Basel on Wednesday – Comparing families using part atoms – Maximum area rectangle in polygon – Neil Peart drum solo...
Happy New Year to the Revit add-in developer community!
My main holiday project was the implementation of an external command to determine the 2D plan view outer boundary of a room in the XY plane, including all its bounding elements' geometry
– How to generate a 2D polygon representing the birds-eye view of an element
CmdExtrusionAnalyzer element outline using
Cmd2dBoolean element outline using 2D Booleans
CmdRoomOuterOutline outer room outline using 2D Booleans...
An inconclusive struggle to use
CurveLoop.CreateViaOffset leads us once again to thank the powers that be for the integer-based 2D Boolean Clipper library, and some thoughts on project dashboards
– Extracting data for project dashboard
– Specifying a list of offsets to
– Alternatives to determine room outline including surrounding walls...
Two little hints on Forge Design Automation for Revit or DA4R issues, projecting a curve onto a planar surface and an impressive list of add-in video samples – DA4R supports FBX and IFC – DA4R wrong user – Projecting curves onto a plane – Revit add-in versus Dynamo zero-touch node – Revit add-in sample videos...
Let's highlight another class from BILTNZ and a personal invitation to the upcoming DevCon in Las Vegas – Invitation to Forge DevCon in Las Vegas – Visual Programming in Infrastructure – Class description – Table of contents – Placing an instance along an edge – Most popular programming languages 1965-2019...
My work on setting up a new PC is nearing completion.
There is also a need to clarify the use of the
– The unbounded
– Making use of the unbounded face intersection
– Rectangular face intersection ideas
– Copy as HTML update
– Visual Studio Revit add-in wizard update...
I have been very busy and motivated indeed setting up a new computer this week. Nonetheless, I was able to keep going full steam with Revit API related issues as well – Setting up a new MacBook – KLH Engineers RevitDeveloperTools snooping tool – Pulling text from annotation tags – Vertex handling – The true meaning of pizza...
I travelled home from the Barcelona Forge accelerator and continued working on the room volume exporter. I now implemented support for glTF, the GL Transmission Format. A few more little items to wrap up the Barcelona topic – Kean Walmsley's report on this year's Forge Accelerator in Barcelona – My two favourite restaurants in Poblenou...
I explored three main topics here at the Forge accelerator
– Room closed shell solid visibility in the Forge viewer
– Rebar simplification: replace rebar elements with simplified solids or model curves
– Today, I'll dive deeper into the first
– IFC exporter utility adds new built-in parameter
– Barcelona Forge accelerator
– Room closed shell in the Forge viewer
– Triangulate the solid face by face
– Triangulate entire solid
– Tessellation accuracy control documentation error...
Yesterday, I implemented a new add-in, RoomVolumeDirectShape, that creates
DirectShape elements representing the volumes of all the rooms
– Request to display room volumes in Forge SVF file
– RoomVolumeDirectShape functionality
– Retrieving all element properties
– Converting a .NET dictionary to JSON
– Complete external command class
– Sample model and results
– Challenges encountered underway
– Cherry BIM Services
– On the value of the "Loss Method" property
– AI-generated talking head models...
I played around creating a new SectionCutGeo add-in to retrieve the geometry resulting from cutting a family instance in a section view. This was prompted the Revit API discussion forum thread on getting intersection lines from cut in section view – Intersection of section and family instance task – Solution options, geometry elements and view settings – Retrieving curves in the cut plane – Helper methods and external command mainline – Sample model and results – Caveat...
New Autodesk show reels, a solution to the lack of an add-in manager in the Revit 2020 SDK, an update for the SpatialElementGeometryCalculator and an interesting observation on English spelling – 2019 Autodesk show reels – The Add-In Manager for Revit 2019 still works – Spatial element geometry calculator update – English spelling...
Yet another eagerly awaited update for the Revit 2020 API, a couple of interesting Revit API discussion forum threads, and some thoughts on how AI might affect and be used in an architectural context
– RevitApiDocs updated with the Revit 2020 API
– More room boundary segments than expected
– How to get width and height of a
– AI and architecture...
We have looked at numerous different approaches to determine wall openings in the past, so it seems pretty hard to nail down, and pretty important to solve.
Now Håvard Leding of Symetri contributed yet another exciting idea which highlights a number of surprising aspects,
demonstrates a further creative use case for
GetDependentElements and expands on his
recent RevitLookup enhancement to retrieve and snoop dependent elements
– Get demolished solid