Matt Mason of Avatech Solutions pointed out a few important items related to the preceding post on replaying a journal file:
One topic that you did not cover – using the journal file with Revit external commands.
Here are some things that I've noticed in the past:
- If your external command has dialog boxes, your application will freeze if Revit is being driven by a journal.
- The alternative to this is to use the JournalData StringStringMap in the ExternalCommandData which is passed to you.
- You can read values from the StringStringMap and use them instead of your dialog boxes.
- You can write the values at the end of your command – based on what the user selected – so that your existing commands can be played back.
- When last I looked at it (2009?) there were problems playing back your command if it included calls to select elements using PickOne or WindowSelect.
Thank you Matt for these valuable hints!
Solar Radiation Technology Preview
A Solar Radiation Technology Preview for Revit is now available on the Autodesk Labs site. Scott Sheppard provides some additional background information on this as well.